Monday, January 14, 2013

What Is Art?

If you've seen the 2003 movie Mona Lisa Smile, you'll recognize this quote from the film:  "What is art? What makes it good or bad, and who decides?"



Some responses in the movie included: "Aren't there standards of technique, composition, color, and subject?" and "Art isn't art until the right people say it is."




I submitted a similar question to the All Things Tim Yahoo! group. The discussion that followed was lively and insightful. It helped me to decide that I am more than just a hobbyist or crafter. I am an artist. I use mixed-media to express my heart and soul. Through this blog I hope to discover my unique visual voice; my art.

In the words of Betty Warren: "But not all who wander are aimless. Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition; beyond definition; beyond the image."




No comments:

Post a Comment